Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oh, hi.

Yeah. It’s a month later and I haven’t run a day since. Finding time between my graveyard hours and everything else I have to do in a day has been nearly impossible. When I do have the time, I’m completely unmotivated to get out there. I miss the little track by my mom’s house, and I hate running in my sister’s neighborhood because rabid neighbor dogs always chase me.

This morning (or lunchtime, to you Day Dwellers), I woke up with a solution: the treadmill.

Yes, I hate treadmills. BUT. I love running, and this is a fair compromise.

We got this thing probably over ten years ago. Lugged it out here from Chicago with us. It hasn’t been used in a very long time. In fact, we dragged it out onto the back deck last year, planning on throwing it out or trying to give it away. So when I woke up this morning, the first thing that popped into my head was “treadmill.”

I went out and got an extension cord, plugged it in and (after a brief phone call to my sister) figured out how to turn it on. It works! It’s full of dust, dirt, leaves and dead bugs, but it works. Tomorrow I will give it a good cleaning and then get back to running.

I think I will run when I get home from work. You’re not supposed to work out before you go to bed, but with summer coming on, I would rather work out in the mornings before it gets too warm.

Plus, I really hope the noise disturbs my asshole neighbors while they’re trying to sleep. They built a fucking halfpipe by their fence and it’s right across the yard from my bedroom. Even with earplugs in, I can still hear the thumping and banging while I’m trying to sleep. I fucking hate these people.

Anyway, I’ve got the Couch-to-5k application for my iPhone and lots of Basshunter to run with, so I think this is going to work out really well for me. I would love to do strength training, too (I love it), but for now I’ll just focus on the running and eventually throw in some weights when I have a chance.

59

1 comment:

Adoresixtyfour said...

Granted, you're not supposed to work out before you go to bed, but it's still better than no workout at all. I've been getting sessions with weights in every two or three days between dinner & nappy-bye, and it is making a diff.