Friday, August 7, 2009

Finding the time.

It’s me again. Yeah, I’m still here. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that I’m probably not going to be able to fit three runs in every week. Not right now, maybe not ever. I did run two weeks ago. I’d gotten off work early (to offset my working six days a week) and was determined to run. When I got home, I walked the dogs for 20 minutes, went home and jumped into my running gear and off I went.

I’d been looking forward to using the Couch-to-5k application I’d purchased for my iPhone, so I was very excited to head out. It was probably around 6:15 in the morning. The sun hadn’t really come out yet, it was still relatively cool. Nobody else was up and about. Perfect conditions.

The run went really well. I thought that since I haven’t run regularly in over a year, I’d be in pretty bad shape, but that wasn’t the case. My legs started to burn a little halfway through, but I never once felt like I wanted to quit and die right in the middle of the road. So that was good.

I’m not sure if the Ulrey podcasts or the application is off, but I definitely ran farther this time than I usually did with the podcast. And I think the timing is off for one of them. At any rate, I ran, I did well, I went home and stretched.

I was banking on getting off work early last night (er, this morning) but that didn’t happen and so I didn’t run. I could have, since I got home before the sun came up, but I was too damn tired. Maybe tomorrow.

I just have so much to do every day before I go to work, I don’t have time for exercising. I could run when I get up in the afternoon, but lately it has been to damn hot. I could do that in the Fall, though.

I really do need to get more exercise, though, and walking the dogs every morning is a good start. It’s good for all of us, health-wise, but it’s also good for the soul. I feel like I never see my dogs anymore, so I’m happy to be able to spend this quiet time with them. Plus, the golden retriever puppy on the corner runs out to join us, and I can always count on him to play with Curly Joe and wear him out.

Which one does not belong?

I am currently down to a weight I haven’t seen in about eight years. It doesn’t mean as much to me, though, because I know that the weight loss is from not eating (due to my ADD meds). It’s a little bit because of all the running around I do at work, but still. I’d feel like this was more of an accomplishment if I was doing strength training or running on a regular basis.

As it stands, I have lost over 16 pounds since February. I have lost 38 pounds since December of 2005. That doesn’t seem like much to me. It’s better than nothing, so I’ll take it, but I feel like I could do more.

Oh, that reminds me. I think the run was easier on me because I’ve lost almost 20 pounds in six months. It has definitely helped, so I can’t knock it too much.

So that’s what’s been going on. I’ll get there. I still have hope.

2 comments:

Christie said...

It's funny because I was just thinking about you today. I'm glad you're still around. Hopefully, you'll find a way to work in some "me" time. The doggies are cute.

Tim Doiron a.k.a "Derv" said...

Hello,

Checked out your blog after hearing about it on Phidip. Congrats on the progress made to date. I to am a C25K graduate with 2 half marathons, the Boston Marathon in 09 and more to come. The program works if you follow it. One suggestion on your comment about to much to do in the mornings (or before work) I find the same true and I am lucky enough to be able to run at work 2 days a week and the other days I FORCE MYSELF to get up before I want to and forgo SLEEP to get my run in. It is tough but I find it so easy to make excuses during the day to why I don't have time to run where as if I get up early the hardest part is putting my two feet on the floor and getting up. Just my thoughts.

Tim
www.rundervrun.blogspot.com